The American Made Handheld Ham Radio For 2023
1. Best Overall: AnyTone AT-D878UVII Plus
This is a rugged and dependable DMR dual-band mobile radio that's easy to use. The interface, programming software, and antenna are simple to operate, so you don't have any trouble making new contacts. It also has up to 7w of high power transmitting power for maximum range. Read Review
2. Best For The Price: Radioddity GA-2S Long Range Walkie Talkies
The radio's high quality and ergonomic design make it affordable. The radio is easy to use and provides a pleasant experience. It can be used for security, hunting, camping, and other purposes. Because they are pre-programmed with identical frequency channels, you can add as many sets of them as you like. Read Review
3. Best Portable: Uniden Bearcat BC125AT Handheld Scanne
This sophisticated scanner has 500 alpha-tagged channels in a handy compact design with a plethora of features. Close Call RF capture technology instantly tunes to nearby transmitter signals, and the Do Not Disturb Mode prevents Close Call checks during a transmission. Read Review
4. Best Powerful: Radioddity GA-510 10-Watt Ham Radio
Radiodity GA-510, a handheld radio with dual-band power and tri-power, is built on a new generation of chips. It transmits further with 10W of high power and 2 batteries make it last longer. This handheld is a great choice for beginners. Read Review
For more than a century, ham radio operators have relied on portable devices to communicate in the field. Ham radio operators are commonly known as “hams” because the initials of their craft also stand for “amateur” operators, which was once the word used to describe all non-commercial users of wireless telegraphy. In recent years, computers and mobile phones have made it easier to stay connected with friends and family.
But many people continue to enjoy the thrill of communicating via walkie-talkie in remote locations or during emergencies. The art of crafting, tuning, and operating ham radio equipment has become a niche hobby among electronics enthusiasts who like to keep things old school. This article provides an overview of ham radios, including different types, features, and resources for those interested in learning more about this niche hobby.
If you are looking for American-made handheld ham radio, there is a possibility you will miss your suitable handheld radio out there from other high-tech countries. However, we are here to help you. Our team had to focus on researching for hours and hours to get such results for readers. This type of study uses customer star ratings and customer interviews on their product experiences. In addition, AnyTone AT-D878UVII Plus is one of the most wonderful models available, and it comes highly recommended by us. We also show the other fantastic alternatives with a complete guide which is worth your consideration below.
RELATED: We did the research for you. With our tests and trials, here are accurate descriptions of the crank emergency radio available in the market.
Our Top Picks
AnyTone AT-D878UVII Plus
- Front face programable with VFO channels so you can punch in repeaters and other frequencies on the fly without having to use the included programming software.
- FREE AT-D878 course included on BridgeCom University with step-by-step video tutorials to get you on DMR and making contacts fast ($97 value).
- Easy to use interface and programming software so that you don't have any trouble making new contacts.
- Up to 7w of high power transmitting so you can have maximum range using your HT.
- Dual band UHF/VHF radio on DMR and analog so you can have one radio for anything on the tech bands.
- The New AnyTone AT-D878UVII PLUS Has APRS Receive and Transmit, so now you can receive other users APRS Transmissions
- Upgraded 500,000 Contact List instead of 200,000 on previous models so you can grow with the DMR community.
Best For The Price
Radioddity GA-2S Long Range Walkie Talkies
- True 2 watt power can reach up to 3 miles range, 96 hours long standby time allows you to use it the whole day without charging.
- 16 pre-programmed frequency right out of box, can be used to communicate directly with each GA-2S on the same channel.
- By connecting a micro USB cable, you can charge it like a mobile phone without worrying about running out of battery. With the USB desktop rapid charger, you can easily charge in car and through a laptop.
- 155 CTCSS/DCS privacy tones, squelch, VOX and air acoustic earpiece can keep your conversation secure with crystal clear audio and allow hands-free communication when you are on duty. Great walkie talkies for adults and business.
- Easy to program through PC with programming cable. CHIRP supported. We offer programming support under Technical Specification Section on the listing page.
Uniden Bearcat BC125AT Handheld Scanne
- LISTEN IN AND STAY INFORMED, this sophisticated scanner has 500 alpha-tagged channels in a convenient compact design with loads of features. Close Call RF capture technology instantly tunes to signals from nearby transmitters and the Do Not Disturb Mode prevents Close Call checks during a transmission.
- GET STARTED LISTENING RIGHT AWAY with convenient Pre-sets for the most popular searches. Frequencies are preset in ten separate Non -Digital Police/Fire/Emergency, Ham, Marine, Railroad, Civil Air, Military Air, CB Radio, FRS/GMRS/MURS, and Racing search bands. This makes it easy to find channels that interest you.
- EXCELLENT HAND-HELD SCANNER (Please note: model BC125AT is NOT suitable for Trunking or Digital Radio system monitoring, (e.g. Project 25, DMR, NXDN). Some Police/Fire/Emergency/Public Safety Agencies in larger cities are switching over to DIGITAL Trunking systems. If you live in an area where Trunking or Digital Radio systems are used, you need to upgrade to a Uniden Digital model (“D” stands for Digital), such as models BCD436HP, BCD536HP, BCD996P2, BCD325P2, or HomePatrol-2.
- SEARCH MORE EFFICIENTLY with 500 Alpha-Tagged Channels finding the channel you want to listen to is easy, with 500 channels divided into 10 storage banks. Organize your channels by department, location, area of interest, or any other way you prefer. Alpha Tagging lets you assign names to your channels, so you can keep track of who you are listening to.
- LISTEN TO OVER 40,000 FREQUENCIES, you can listen to both civilian and military bands, including Non-Digital Police, Ambulance, Fire, Weather, Marine, Aircraft, Railroad, Civil Air, Amateur radio services, and Racing events.
- LIGHTWIEGHT PORTABLE DESIGN, take this Bearcat handheld radio scanner with you on the road, or on outings. It packs plenty of features, the orange backlight display is easy to read, even in low light conditions.
Radioddity GA-510 10-Watt Ham Radio
- ✔ Easy Programming: More convenient to manual programming most of settings via the keypad, as well as PC programming with the cable in the box. SUPPORT CHIRP.
- ✔ Tri-Power & Long Range: A further and more impressive communication range comes from the 10W high power feature. The Radioddity GA-510 can be set in 3 power modes (high/medium/low) (10W, 5W, 1W) to give you the best talking quality under different circumstances.
- ✔ Dual Band, Dual Watch, Dual Display. Completed with a hard case outside, supports using for years, especially for business and outdoor using, like at the construction field, security work, survival rescue.
- ✔ 96 Hours Battery Life: Come with two 2200mAh high-capacity batteries this radio has a continuous working time of 12 hours under 10W (high) power mode, 24 hours life under 5W/1W (med/low) power mode and 96 hours on standby. Supports you longer, especially in emergency situation.
- ✔ What's in the Box: GA-510 Radio, 2 x 2200 mAh rechargeable batteries, programming cable, dual band antenna, charger, adapter, belt clip, wrist strap, earpiece and user manual.
Uniden BCD436HP HomePatrol Series Digital Handheld
- The BCD436HP is the first scanner to incorporate the HomePatrol-1 ease of use in a traditional handheld scanner. Plus, Uniden's exclusive Close Call RF Capture feature, GPS Connectivity, Extra-Large Display, Radio System Analysis and Discover Modes put the most advanced scanner features ever right in the palm of your hand.
- Simple to operate, no programming needed. Simply turn it on, enter your zip code, and TrunkTracker V does the rest.
- This user-friendly digital scanner will immediately begin receiving communications used by Public Safety, Police, Fire, EMS, Ambulance, Aircraft, Military, Weather, and more.Scan Speed - 85 channels per second
- Whether it is across town or across the street, the BCD436HP keeps you informed. Now with the largest display on the market and more advanced features, the BCD436HP makes a superior unit for the scanner enthusiast..Instant Replay – Plays back up to 240 seconds (4 minutes) of the most recent transmissions..Custom Alerts – You can program your scanner to alert when you receive, a Channel or Unit ID, a Close Call hit, an ID is transmitted with an Emergency Alert, or a Tone-out hit. For each alert in the scanner, you can select from 9 different tone patterns, 15 volume settings, 7 colors, and 3 flash patterns.
- This functionality is made possible by combining the rich radio system database from Radio Reference with Uniden's patented radio system selection methods to correctly identify and monitor only nearby systems in the USA/Canada.
- Professional Ham Radio: Dual band, dual watch, dual standby, up to 128 channels. Equipped with an 8.9-inch long antenna, this solid 5W radio can reach further and receives strong signals.
- Rugged and Rainproof: Made of high-strength materials in the body and softer TPU material at the bottom, this radio is specially designed to be safe from drops. Rated IP56 waterproof is also a plus for outdoors, especially in harsh environments. Finally, the radio is orange, making it easier to locate and spot in low light scenarios.
- Bluetooth Programming: In addition to the traditional PC programming, the GS-5B can be programmed with the dedicated APP via Bluetooth. Compatible with both Android and IOS systems. There also is keypad programming for all settings and functions. It’s cool to program your radio anywhere anytime especially when you are traveling.
- More Features: Micro-USB charging, VOX delay, dual PTT, channel name edit, SOS function, DTMF function, 211 CTCSS and 51 DCS tones, 1750Hz tone, encryption and VOX for hands-free operation are all standard on this radio.
- Improved Display: This radio has a much-improved display that features a full color screen, a signal strength meter, and other features. With the inverted dark background, the display is easy on the eyes, even in daylight.
Uniden BCD325P2 Handheld TrunkTracker V Scanne
- S.A.M.E. Weather Alert, supports Specific Area Message Encoding weather alerts. During a NOAA Weather or Emergency Alert, a code for your specific location will alert you to severe conditions in your immediate area.
- DCS/CTCSS Rapid Decode - Instantly Detects and Displays the Sub audible Tone So You Can Quickly Determine the System Settings.
- GPS Location-Based Scanning, connect this scanner to an optional GPS receiver and it will automatically select programmed systems based on your exact location. You'll save time by scanning only the local signals.
- The BCD325P2 comes equipped with Uniden exclusive features like Advanced Dynamic Memory System, Close Call RF Capture Technology, and GPS compatibility. It also includes support for the latest APCO Project 25 Phase II systems.
- System / Channel Number Tagging - provides rapid access to a specific system or channel
- Scan and search 25,000 channels. With Close Call RF capture technology, this scanner will automatically tune to the signals nearest you, so you can keep track of what's going on in your area.
- Quick-Key System Access (100 Keys), allows you to quickly access the systems you us the most often. Uniden Police Scanners feature simple to set up keys to the systems you want to hear. Press them to enable or disable the system.
BAOFENG BF-F8HP Two-Way Radio
- BTECH is proud to be in the USA, which allows you to have the best available local support for any issue that may arise. BTECH only engineers and develops radio products. That brand focus allows you to have the best available radios and accessories with the most features, with real USA warranty and support.
- High / Med / Low Power Settings (8W, 4W, 1W); Frequency Range: VHF: 136-174 MHz(Rx/Tx). UHF: 400-520 MHz(Rx/Tx); Broad (Wide) / Narrowband (Narrow) Selectable
- The BF-F8HP was designed in the USA and because not everyone is a radio-expert we really wanted to focus on providing an easier user experience! That starts with the new in-depth manual that guides you through the capabilities and customization of the BF-F8HP. On top of that the BF-F8HP also includes exclusive concierge customer help and warranty support. This concierge service is only available on select BaoFeng models such as the BF-F8HP, UV-82HP, and UV-5X3
- Kit Includes: BF-F8HP, 2100mAh Battery, V-85 Dual Band Antenna, CH-5 Charger, CH-5 110V Adapter, Earpiece Kit, Wrist Strap, Belt Clip, User Manual
- Upgrades from our Previous Generation UV-5R: Twice the Output Power (8 watts up from 4 watts output), New Hardened Durable Radio Shell, 30% Larger Battery, V-85 High Gain Antenna (Twice the Antenna Performance), USA Support + In-depth User Guide Included; A PC03 FTDI Programming Cable is Recommended for Easier PC Programming
youRUSH UV-5RUSH Portable Ham Radio
- Over 18 hours operating time with supplied BL-5 2800mAh 7.4V Li-ion Battery pack. 3-4 hour rapid Charger included. Battery saver function. Time out timer. Emergency signalling. Bright flashlight illumination.
- Reliable output power within an ultra-compact body. 3 selectable power settings: 8W / 5W / 1W. Original BAOFENG UV-5R. Stable long range signal. Clear audio output. VOX hands-free operation. Robust and durable shell.
- Dual Band, Dual Frequency, Dual Display and Dual Standby UV 5R BAOFENG meets different demand. Wide frequency range: VHF / UHF. FM broadcast receiver equipped.
- 128 memory channels. Easy to program with USB Programming Cable included. CHIRP supported. CTCSS / DCS operation. Scan modes. Large alphanumeric screen. Keypad lock.
Midland 50 Channel Waterproof GMRS Two-Way Radio - Long Range Walkie Talkie
- 142 Ctcss/Dcs Privacy Codes - The Privacy Codes Give You Up To 3,124 Channel Options To Block Other Conversations
- Noaa Weather Scan + Alert - Noaa Weather Scan Will Automatically Scan Through 10 Available Weather (Wx) Band Channels And Locks Onto The Strongest Weather Channel To Alert You Of Severe Weather Updates. Noaa Weather Alert Will Sound An Alarm Indicating That There Is A Risk Of Severe Weather In Your Area
- 36-Mile Range - Longer Range Communication In Open Areas With Little Or No Obstruction. Easy Voice And Sound Activation Transmission (Evox) With 9 Sensitivity Levels For Hands-Free Operation
- 2-Way Radios - These Walkie-Talkies Feature 50 Gmrs (General Mobile Radio Service) Channels, Along With Channel Scan To Check For Activity. The Jis4 Waterproof Protection Prevents Splashing Water From Having Any Harmful Effect On It (Splash Resistant)
What to Look For in a american made handheld ham radio?
Actually, when you decide to invest in american made handheld ham radio for yourself, lots of things to consider! It's harder to choose since the product comes with many types, functions, and features from different manufacturers. That’s why you should find a reliable space to acquire knowledge related to the item.
We’ve highlighted the essential features of the american made handheld ham radio below. Along with checking out the list of best models in the list, you should also carefully read the buying guide here:
Durability & Waterproofness
Learn about the IPX rating system. It rates how water-resistant a device. This ranges between the device breaking down upon water exposure (IPX0), to being capable of enduring powerful water jets. (IPX9K).
Most radios we found fell within the IPX3 and IPX4 ranges. These are able to resist light rain or splashes coming from all directions.
The time taken to produce meaningful power can vary between cranks. It can take up to two minutes for one minute of playback at the lowest end. You can achieve more than 10 times as many minutes if you work harder.
Radios with disposable batteries are a favorite of ours. It is easy to stockpile and receive several days' worth of power with minimal investment.
Although solar charging can prove useful, it is slow and requires the sun to work. This can cause problems in severe weather. A hand crank is a good alternative charging option.
Hand cranks don't all work the same. Take note of what power each crank can produce. You want a radio with a high ratio of cranking and listening, such as 10 minutes per minute.
These radios have emergency features that are essential. Make sure you look for one you can use to notify you of severe weather warnings from NOAA. A flashlight is a great option for emergencies.
Look for things that can help you find your way if you are trapped by floodwaters or in the woods. You can also use a flashing red LED light, flashlights that blink or have SOS or blinking functions, and an ultrasonic dog whistle or buzzer to help you locate your destination.
Radios that are smaller and lighter will be able to store between 850-1,999 mAh. This will allow for more frequent use or shorter emergency situations.
You should look for devices that have access to the NOAA radio channel. Up to seven radio stations broadcasting emergency warnings and weather information across the United States can be tuned in. You can even tap into the station that is most pertinent and switch on whenever a broadcast occurs.
You will get lower quality sound quality if your device is smaller or lighter. It's not necessary to have high-quality audio in order to enjoy a weather update.
When Will I Need An Emergency Radio?A portable emergency radio is a vital tool in times of crisis, such as a tornado, hurricane, earthquake or power cut. You will probably need an emergency radio, with climate change increasing and disasters related to weather becoming more common in many places. It is better to have this radio than not using it.
Do Hand-crank Radios Work?While not all models will work perfectly, crank radios can be trusted. You can turn a crank to charge a radio battery. I.e. It should be wound up.
Although a crank radio is not as reliable or powerful as other sources of power, they can be used for a long time without needing to recharge.
The efficiency ranges from 2 minutes for 1 minute power to 90 seconds for 30 minutes power.
How Long Does A Crank Radio Last?A crank radio generally provides 10-15 hours of radio talk time when fully charged. If other features are being used, the timeframe will be longer. You don't have to turn the radio on again to make it work.
There is no definitive answer to how long a crank radio will last. However, it generally takes 500-1000 charges to charge a device. If you don't have frequent tornadoes, you can expect to get a couple of years, if not even decades, out of the unit.
What Are The Emergency Radio Channels?Your location will often determine which emergency radio stations you have access to. You should find the local channels as well as state emergency radio stations and keep them in your emergency kit.
The national weather service (NOAA), also has its own weather station. Non-weather updates will also be provided by the NOAA station.
What Kind Of Radio Is Used For Emergencies?Federal government suggests that you include a hand crank radio or battery-powered radio with NOAA weather access, alerts and notifications in your emergency kits.
Emergency radios are tuned specifically to be able to listen to AM and FM radio, as well as access NOAA weather channels. In case of power grid failure, they can be used independently from wall outlets.
A radio that can alert you to NOAA's weather warnings is a good choice. It doesn't need a plug and will work at the minimum. While useful, some perks, like integrated flashlights and USB charging ports, can be helpful, but they are not essential to emergency radios.
How Long Do Emergency Radios Last?A good emergency radio will last for 5-10 years if kept dry and clean.
How Do You Use An Emergency Radio?You should make sure your radio is fully charged before you use it. You can access NOAA weather channels and your local radio station by charging your radio. Many radios also have a USB cable that can be used to charge the phone and act as a flashlight.
After knowing the suitable kinds of american made handheld ham radio and the features you wish, it’s high time for you to start your shopping. Note that you shouldn’t run out to a particular store or start scrolling through online sales just yet. With the development of technology, especially the expansion of sale sites, you can easily find your buddy.
Remember to check out our site weekly round-up to ensure that the current sales on american made handheld ham radio perform well in our tests. So you can catch up with them as soon as possible. Would you please give us your feedback for better service? Many thanks!
READ NEXT: The 10 Best Tablet 13 Inch Of 2023, Tested By Our Experts