The 10 Best Av System Of 2023, Tested By Our Experts
1. Best Overall: YAMAHA RX-V385
The new RX-V385 delivers superb sound quality, advanced Yamaha technology and a refined design. 5.1 channel powerful surround sound with 4K Ultra HD support and HDR10, Dolby vision and Hybrid Log Gamma ensures you enjoy the most vibrant and immersive entertainment possible. Read Review
2. Best Bang For The Buck: Sony STR-DH790 7.2-ch AV Receiver
With a strong power output of 140 watts per channel, it has a built-in Bluetooth module and is compatible with the latest in 4K and 3D technologies. Read Review
3. Best Efficient: Denon AVR-S960H 8K Ultra HD
Denon AVR-S960H is a powerful, integrated 9.2 channel AV receiver that delivers immersive surround sound with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization for the ultimate home theater experience. Read Review
4. Best Design: Onkyo TX-SR393 5.2 Channel A/V Receiver
With Dolby Atmos and DTS: x playback, AccuEQ with AccuReflex calibration, the Onkyo TX-SR393 delivers room-filling sound for your home theater. The AccuEQ measures in-room response curves via a sophisticated equalization system and optimizes the sound output to suit your room's unique shape. Read Review
The receiver system (an AV receiver, home receiver, or AV receiver) is indispensable to any high-end home cinema setup. It’s a single piece of equipment that combines the functionality of several different devices. In addition to its primary role as a mixer and amplifier for your home theater setup, a good AV receiver also has additional functionality such as built-in streaming services and network connectivity for Internet radio, Spotify, Pandora, and other music apps. An AV Receiver is essential in any home theater setup because it combines multiple inputs into one stream that feeds your speakers. In this article, we will explore the best AV Receiver system and what it does and explain why you need one to build the perfect home cinema system.
You'll have an easier time deciding with our YAMAHA RX-V385 recommendations with 5.1 channel powerful surround sound. In addition, we provide you with other excellent systems.
RELATED: We reviewed the best component stereo system for making everything. Read unbiased best component stereo system reviews and find the top-rated one for you guys.
Our Top Picks
- YPAO auto calibration technology for ideal sound, Exclusive Yamaha Cinema DSP technology supports playback of HD Audio (Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD Master Audio, etc.), providing natural and expansive sound imaging
- HDMI 2.1 with HDCP 2.2 (4 in/1 out)
- Providing complete compatibility with the latest HDMI standards, this AV receiver delivers transmission of 4K video at 60 frames/second pass through; It also supports HDR (High Dynamic Range) Video including Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log Gamma which provides incredible contrast, smooth tone and rich, bright colors
- Bluetooth for wireless connectivity. Rated Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) 100W (8 ohms, 0.9% THD); Rated Output Power (20Hz 20kHz, 2ch driven) 70W (8 ohms, 0.09% THD); Maximum Effective Output Power (1kHz, 1ch driven) (Jeita) 145W (6 ohms, 10% THD)
- 5.1 channel powerful surround sound
- 4K Ultra HD support, HDR10, Dolby vision, hybrid log gamma and BT.2020
Best Bang For The Buck
Sony STR-DH790 7.2-ch AV Receiver
- PURE DIRECT FUNCTION: Suppresses front panel noise to provide higher-fidelity sound from all inputs
- STUNNING 4K QUALITY: 4K HDR pass through with support for Dolby Vision, HDR10, and Hybrid Log Gamma provides greater and clearer color, contrast, and brightness
- SMARTER CONNECTIVITY: Stream music and use Bluetooth Standby turn on the receiver from your phone
- AUTO CALIBRATION: Advanced D.C.A.C. analyzes and adjusts the audio for optimal sound in every room
- IN THE BOX: AV receivers include a calibration microphone, FM antenna, remote control and batteries
- LOW PROFILE DESIGN: STRDH790 Bluetooth receiver measures 5 1/4" tall to fit into most AV cabinets
- CINEMATIC SOUND AT HOME: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- GET CONNECTED: 4 in/1 out HDMI each and 1 optical / 1 coaxial digital and analog audio connections
- BREATHTAKING AUDIO: Dolby Atmos and DTS:X deliver multi-dimensional and object-based surround sound
Denon AVR-S960H 8K Ultra HD
- GET THE MOST OUT OF YOUR 4K TV - Enjoy the highest quality 3D audio and video knowing that the AVR-S960H is 8K READY WHEN YOU ARE. This high-power amplifier meets the most demanding entertainment needs with the latest technology available
- FULL VOICE CONTROL COMPATIBILITY WITH AMAZON ALEXA so you can adjust the volume, change tracks & switch inputs absolutely hands-free. Also works with Google Assistant, Apple Siri & integrates with home-automation systems like Josh.ai & Control4 SDPP
- Does not support pass-through from all 4K/120Hz media sources
- EXTEND THE REACH OF YOUR MUSIC to any room in the house via Wi-Fi, Airplay 2 or Bluetooth with HEOS MULTI-ROOM WIRELESS SPEAKERS like the Denon Home series, without any extra hardware. Get Hi-Fi audio around your home with Pandora, Spotify, TuneIn & more
- ENJOY THE MOST ADVANCED VIDEO TECHNOLOGY AVAILABLE with Dynamic HDR and HDR10+. This 7.2 channel receiver delivers clarity, contrast & color, & Quick Media Switching eliminates video delay
- UNMATCHED 3D REALISM FOR YOUR HOME THEATER SYSTEM – Enjoy Immersive surround sound with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization & DTS Virtual:X and crisp, clean picture with advanced video processing, 8K/60Hz, and 4K/120Hz pass-through
- CONNECT WITH ANY HD/ULTRA HD TV, SUBWOOFER, BLU-RAY PLAYER & TURNTABLE FOR INCREDIBLE STEREO SOUND - USB, 8 HDMI ports (6 In/ 2 Out) with HDCP 2.3 processing, Digital In, Phono input & Network support with a range of wireless connections
- NEXT GEN GAMING - Enjoy a smooth, lag-free gaming experience with spectacular imaging, reduced lag & frame tearing with 4K/120Hz pass-through, Variable Refresh Rate (VRR), Quick Frame Transport (QFT), and Auto Low Latency Mode (ALLM)
- AWARD-WINNING ON-SCREEN SETUP ASSISTANT provides simple, clear instructions to connect your TV, & Audyssey MultEQ XT (with 2 preset options) that accurately calibrates all speakers in your home setup & tunes the AVR for an optimal listening experience
- Dolby Atmos and DTS: x playback
- Dolby Atmos height virtualizer* and DTS virtual: x
- Supports 4K/60p and HDR (HDR10, hlg, Dolby vision, BT.2020)
- Accueq with subwoofer EQ and accureflex
- 155 watts per Channel
Denon AVR-X1600H 4K UHD
- MULTI-DIMENSIONAL AUDIO – In addition to Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and DTS Virtual:X, the AVR-X1600H also supports Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology that creates virtual height effects even without the height channels for a truly immersive experience
- Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant and Apple Siri voice control – Use your voice to control the AVR-X1600H and wireless music services hands-free
- AWARD-WINING ON-SCREEN QUICK SETUP GUIDE walks you through simple, clear instructions to connect your TV, specify EQ settings and helps you optimize your surround sound. The back-panel is laid out with color-coded connections that makes organizing simple
- YOUR HOME AT YOUR FINGERTIPS – Denon's In-command series receiver AVR-X1600H features external control and IP control capabilities for seamless integration with Home Automation Systems like Control4 SDPP and allows REMOTE MONITORING of connected devices
- ADVANCED HDMI VIDEO SECTION WITH eARC support (HDMI 6 in / 1 out) – Features 4K Ultra HD 60Hz video with full HDCP 2.3 support, 4:4:4 pure color sub-sampling, Dolby vision, HDR10, HLG, eARC, 3D and BT.2020
- POWERFUL 7-CHANNEL AMPLIFIER WITH THE LATEST HOME CINEMA TECHNOLOGY – 80 watts per channel delivers high power performance and operational stability for a range of speakers with HDCP 2.3 and advanced video processing with 4K upscaling for HDMI sources
- ENJOY WIRELESS STREAMING with Pandora, Spotify, Tidal and more via Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, and AirPlay 2. Play the same song in every room or a different one in each connected room with HEOS MULTI-ROOM SPEAKERS
- AMAZON ALEXA VOICE CONTROL – Sit back and enjoy music without having to reach out for the remote every now and then. Control this amp hands-free with Amazon Alexa. Adjust the volume, change the track or switch the inputs – Just Ask Alexa
Onkyo TX-NR696 Home Audio Smart Audio
- GOOGLE CHROMECAST. Cue, play, and control music playback by voice with your Google Assistant smart speaker. Control playback with Chromecast-enabled apps from your iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet, Mac or Windows laptop or Chromebook.
- THX CERTIFIED SELECT. Take movie night to the next level. THX Certified Select guarantees the same reference volume level of a commercial theater in rooms where the viewing position is about 10–12 feet from the screen. 210 W/Ch THX Certified Select.
- SONOS COMPATIBLE. This Onkyo receiver can join your existing Sonos Home Sound System, or start a new one, by pairing with a Sonos Connect. The AVR ties into the Sonos ecosystem, waking, changing inputs and playing at the desired volume from the Sonos app.
- SMART AVR. This is the heart of your entertainment system. Stream from Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, TIDAL, Deezer and TuneIn to share sound as part of a multi-room system. Works with Sonos, Chromecast built-in, AirPlay 2, DTS Play-Fi and FlareConnect.
- DTS ATMOS. Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer provides an immersive listening experience, creating a virtual surround and height effect. Dolby Atmos and DTS formats provide advanced sound mapping so effects move from speaker to speaker. 5.2.2-ch Dolby Atmos.
- RANGE CONTROL. With this unique mid-range sound control feature, you can make independent volume adjustments to the range including dialogues in films, with the up/down key on the remote control.
- PERSONAL PRESET. Press the personal preset button on the front panel for three seconds and your current settings such as volume level and listening mode. Up to three presets can be registered and called up from the front panel button or remote control.
- DTS:X PLAYBACK. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X is the next-generation audio codec from DTS that leverages object-based audio to enable new immersive and interactive audio experiences.
- BLUETOOTH COMPATIBLE. Seamlessly connect your phone, tablet or PC and stream to the receiver with Bluetooth Wireless Technology. This smart receiver remembers your device and starts playback whenever it detects an incoming Bluetooth audio stream.
- DOLBY ATMOS. Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer provides an immersive listening experience, creating a virtual surround and height effect without employing additional surround or height speakers. 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos.
- 4K/60, 4K/120AB, 8K/60B, HDMI 2.1 (via future update)
- Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, AirPlay 2, Spotify Connect, Voice Control and MusicCast multi-room
- Voice control with Alexa and Google Assistant devices or Siri via AirPlay 2
- Pandora, Spotify, Napster, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Deezer, Qobuz, Amazon Music
- MusicCast multi-room audio and MusicCast Surround capable with MusicCast 20 or MusicCast 50 wireless surround speakers
- Dolby Vision, Hybrid-Log Gamma and BT.2020
- YPAO - R.S.C. and multipoint
- Dolby Atmos, Dolby Atmos with Height Virtualization (via future update) and DTS: X
- HDMI with HDCP 2.3 and eARC (7 in / 1 out)
- 7.2 channel, 75w (2 channel driven), 6 HDMI inputs / 1 HDMI 2.1 output / Phono input
- 8K UDH, HDCP 2.3, HDR10+, HDR, Dolby Vision, 4k/120 & VRR, eArc
- 3 dedicated HDMI 2.1 inputs with 8k up scaling on all inputs
- Includes Wacky Jacky Microfiber Cleaning Cloth
- Support for most voice assistants (Google, Alexa and Siri)
- UNPRECEDENTED REALISM AND NEW FEATURES – eARC and heightened sound effects with Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology. Be it the sound of a helicopter or torrential rains, it’ll sound so real, you'll think it's happening right above you
Sony STRDH590 5.2ch 4K AV Receiver with Complete 5.2 Surround Sound System
- BUNDLE INCLUDES: Sony STRDH590 5.2 multi-channel 4k HDR AV Receiver with Bluetooth, Sony SSCS5 3-Way 3-Driver Bookshelf Speaker System (Black), Sony SSCS8 2-Way 3-Driver Center Channel Speaker (Black), Sony SSCS3 Stereo Floor-Standing Speaker and Sony 10-Inch Active Subwoofer (Black)
- OPTIMIZATION: Using Digital Cinema Auto Calibration (DCAC) you can easily optimize sound based on where you sit in relation to your speakers for the best from your home theater system.
- 4K PICTURE: The STR-DH590 brings movies to life with 4K HDR pass through with Dolby Vision and flexible surround sound.
- BLUETOOTH STANDBY: Allows you to turn on your receiver straight from your paired smart phone or tablet. As well as play your favorite tracks.
- FLEXIBLE SURROUND SOUND: This AV Receiver as the ability to easily switch to different sound sound modes. 5.1ch real surround for theater sound, 2.1ch virtual surround sound for smaller rooms
What to Look For in a best av system?
The best av system is assessed based on many factors. best av system research varies depending on the type, feature, and quality of this product. It is not too complex to cover, yet we will give you some buying guide and solutions to these problems.
Please take a closer look at best av system characteristics below would be beneficial for you. Let’s look through and keep in mind:
Surround Sound Technology
Apps And Connectivity
You can also control the receivers via compatible apps. This allows you to adjust settings and switch between different content from your smartphone.
Number And Type Of Connections
Home theatre systems that are receiver-based can be purchased in many channels. These channels include 5.1, 7.1.1, and 9.1. This number indicates the total number of speakers and subwoofers in the system.
Wireless Vs. Wired
Wireless speaker systems are popular because they're easy to install. Wireless systems can be moved around easily and used in different locations. You can also use the wireless speakers outdoors, such as on your patio.
RELATED: Take A Look At The Top 10 best home surround system For You. Our Personalized Shopping Guides Help You Compare And Choose Products.
How Many Watts Home Theater Do I Need?Your theater will sound better if you have more power under your hood. Strangely, but true, high-power theaters sound louder when they are at lower volume levels. 125 watts per channel would be the best power level to maintain without worrying about running out.
How Big A Screen Should I Get?For many, this may be the most important question. For a true cinema experience, a large screen is essential. It all depends on how you want to seat and what size the space is. In medium-sized theatres, 120 inches is the most common screen size. A minimum distance for a screen that large is around 10 feet. For every foot of screen size, the average seating distance is between 10 and 12 inches. Some people prefer to be closer in order to get the best experience. Others don't like being as close. This can be achieved in multi-row seating arrangements - maybe the children will prefer the front row.
How Many Speakers Do I Need?You will need five or more speakers to create a surround sound system. Dolby Atmos enabled setups should include at least five speakers. A good system should have at least five, seven or nine principal speakers. Your space limitations and your budget will determine the amount of speakers you select. You should ensure that your home theater receiver has sufficient input and output options for the speakers you have chosen.
What Wattage Should I Get For My Home Theater System?Performance is just like performance in cars. The more horsepower you have, the bigger and better your theater will sound. It will sound even louder if you crank it up. It is strange but true that a louder theater can actually produce more goosebumps at lower volume levels.
You should ensure that you use the recommended minimum power for the speakers. A doubling in power is required to hear volume changes up to three decibels. This means that you have 70 watts of power per channel and you desire a significantly higher sound level. You'd need 140 Watts to do this.
Can I Use A Flat-screen TV For The Display?It is possible, it may be suitable for small spaces. If you decide to go this route, an OLED set of high quality from LG is a great choice. OLED panels are perfect for film because they have excellent color reproduction and great black levels. OLED panels are larger than other projectors and measure 88 inches in height. You should also consider that black bars can reduce screen real estate when you view 21:9 wide format film, which is a popular format used for theatrical releases.
What Is The Best Speaker Setup?A surround sound system consists of two speakers at the front and two speakers in the center. Two surround speakers are located behind your viewer. One subwoofer is included. Two speakers can be added to either side of the viewer in a seven-speaker setup. For larger rooms there are nine-speaker systems. These have two speakers next to the viewer on either side. There are also additional speakers at 70 degrees from your viewers. These traditional layouts can be enhanced by Dolby Atmos overhead speakers, which create an immersive, more real-life experience.
How Do You Make Your Rear Speakers Wireless?Although you can add wired speakers to your rear using a wireless adapter, it is still not ideal. Some manufacturers offer wireless surround speaker systems that can be used wirelessly if necessary.
READ NEXT: The 10 Best Av Amp Of 2023, Tested By Our Experts