The Best Budget Studio Microphone For 2023
1. Best Overall: Audio-Technica AT2020 XLR Microphone
The AT2020 has a high SPL which allows for a wide dynamic range, making it ideal for video and home studios. A wide frequency response that allows for deep audio with both crisp highs as well as warm lows. Read Review
2. Best For The Price: TONOR USB Microphone Kit
For such a small, affordable microphone, the Tonor USB condenser mic is of exceptional quality. This microphone is a great choice for gaming, podcasts, Zoom conference calls, and home recordings. Read Review
3. Best Aound Quality: Logitech for Creators Blue Yeti Nano USB Microphone
The Blue Yeti Nano is a fantastic way to get that clean, refined Yeti sound for less than other mics in the lineup, at the cost of a couple of extra polar patterns. Read Review
4. Best For Beginner: MAONO Microphone with Studio Headphone Set (AU-A04H)
For a newbie, the MAONO truly provides everything you'll need to get started. The MAONO's bass and mid-tone responses offered the kind of improvements you can hear even if you don't know much about audio. Read Review
A good studio microphone will sound great on many instruments and sound sources. This gives the engineer more options and minimizes unwanted noise.
Let's take a look at some of the Best budget studio microphones. While some microphones are better suited to certain instruments, such as vocals or drums, others will be more versatile. However, all of these microphones offer exceptional quality and the highest level of sonic quality.
Any of these microphones are a great choice if you're in search of new or additional microphones.
RELATED: We've compiled 10,117+ customer reviews to find the best headphones with a mic in 2023 for you. See our top picks and buying guide here.
Our Top Picks
Audio-Technica AT2020 XLR Microphone
- Black speckles on the mic are part of the design. Audio-Technica case style: R7
- Custom engineered low mass diaphragm provides extended frequency response and superior transient response
- Cardioid polar pattern reduces pickup of sounds from the sides and rear, improving isolation of desired sound source. Output connector: integral 3 pin XLRM type
- High SPL handling and wide dynamic range provide unmatched versatility
- Ideal for project/home studio applications; The noise level is 20 dB SPL
- The price/performance standard in side address studio condenser microphone technology
Best For The Price
TONOR USB Microphone Kit
- Plug and Play: With USB A to B cable, TONOR Q9 microphone is easy to connect with both Mac and Windows computer, no need any extra driver software or sound card. It is perfect for podcasting, music/video recording, live streaming, gaming or online chatting. Note: This microphone is compatible with PS4, but not compatible with Xbox.
- Great Sound of Fidelity: Equipped with a 16mm large diaphragm, wide frequency response (20Hz to 20KHz) and professional sound chipset, Q9 microphone provides a perfect combination of clarity, warmth, extended dynamic range and high SPL capability. The cardioid condenser capsule enables the Q9 to capture pristine and accurate sound and cancel noise from surroundings, perfect for recording and communicating.
- Complete Mic Set: Package includes a condenser microphone, metal shock mount, adjustable suspension scissor arm stand, desk mount clamp, pop filter, foam mic cover, 1.8M USB A to B cable and manual. All premium accessories are contained in one package, which makes the TONOR Q9 to be your most secure choice!
- Durable Boom Stand: The Q9 microphone has a sturdy all-metal suspension scissor stand that extends vertically up to 27.5"/700mm, giving you an excellent range of motion. Maximum desk thickness: 1.7"/45mm.
- User-friendly Design: With a convenient volume button, TONOR Q9 recording microphone is much easier for you to use. In working status, short press for adjusting mic volume level, 3s long press for turning off the microphone.
Best Aound Quality
Logitech for Creators Blue Yeti Nano USB Microphone
- Multiple pickup patterns: Cardioid and omni pickup patterns are optimal for pro recording and streaming, Zoom meetings, Twitch gaming, podcasting, YouTube videos, voice-overs and more
- Onboard controls: Quickly adjust headphone volume, mic mute and pickup pattern so you can focus on your performance and connect directly to your computer or laptop via the included USB cable
- Legendary Blue broadcast sound: Yeti Nano features 2 custom mic capsules to give your voice exceptional presence and detail for professional-level recording and streaming
- No-latency monitoring: Monitor your audio recordings with precision thanks to the onboard headphone output and volume control, ensuring great sound every time
- Compact footprint and aesthetic: Yeti Nano USB condenser microphone fits on any desktop and looks great on camera, simply plug 'n play on your Mac or PC and start recording instantly
- Blue VO!CE software: Elevate your streamings and recordings with clear broadcast vocal sound and entertain your audience with enhanced effects, advanced modulation and HD audio samples
Best For Beginner
MAONO Microphone with Studio Headphone Set (AU-A04H)
- 【Package List And Warranty】 Wired Headphones+Condenser Mic + Adjustable Scissor Arm Stand + Metal Shock Mount + Pop Filter + Foam Mic Windscreen + Table Mounting Clamp + USB-B to USB-A Cable+3.5mm to 6.35mm Adapter. MAONO products provide a 12-Month warranty to ensure a better shopping experience
- 【Professional Sound Chipset 192kHz/24bit】This Condenser Microphone has been designed with a professional sound chipset, which lets the USB microphone hold a high-resolution sampling rate. SAMPLING RATE: 192kHz/24bit!!! The smooth, flat frequency response of 30Hz-16kHz--Extended frequency response is excellent for singing, speech, and Voice-over, Performed perfectly in reproduces sound, high-quality mic ensure your exquisite sound reproduces on the internet
- 【Single-Side Monitoring】90-degree swiveling earcups for easy, one-ear monitoring. Foldable and stretchable headband to fit your head and 180-degree swiveling earcups for easy one-ear monitoring. You just need to adjust the headband to your desired and comfortable angle. Also, a 9.8ft coil retractable headphone cable gives you more movable space
- 【Plug and Play Condenser Microphone】 The microphone has a USB 2.0 data port which is easy to connect with your computer and Linux operation system, and no need for extra driver software, and no need for an external sound card. Double shielding USB cable reduces interference. That makes it easy to sound good on a podcast, Live stream, video call, or most any other kind of recording
- 【Wide Compatibility And Multi-Purpose】3.5mm jack for pc, laptop, smartphone, tablet, iPad and includes 6.35mm adapter for mixer, phantom power, etc. Besides monitoring, also perfect for gaming, music
- 【 Equipped with Studio Headphones 】Proprietary 50mm large-aperture drivers and deep, accurate bass response bring you a treat of your ear. Advanced active noise reduction technology makes you focus on what you want to hear. Foldable, flexible, and skin texture design, more durability, and comfort
- 【16mm Electret Condenser Transducer & Magnet Ring】 With the 16mm electret condenser transducer, the USB microphone can give you a strong bass response. This professional condenser microphone picks up crystal clear audio. The magnet ring, on the USB microphone cable, has a strong anti-interference function, which makes you have a better feel
- 【Ergonomic Design】Comfortable to Wear: The soft earmuffs and circumaural design contours around the ears make the sound isolation of the headphones good, reduce external interference, and have good breathability. You won’t feel tired for a long time wearing it. The headband made of PC + Abs delivers more durability, comfort, and lightweight. The foldable design is for saving space in your bags
- Professional Recording Quality: With its 14mm condenser capsule and flat frequency response, the mic broadcasts your voice with stellar clarity that’s filled with crisp highs and deep lows.
- Ultra-Compact Build: Made for minimalist or smaller setups, it barely takes up any desk space and is discreet on-camera, putting more focus on you. Easy to bring along if you need take your streaming elsewhere.
- Heavy-Duty Tilting Stand: Sitting on a sturdy support, the mic can be angled to find the perfect sweetspot for your voice. It can also be detached and mounted on a boom arm or mic stand that uses a standard 5,8-inch thread.
- Ultra-Precise Supercardioid Pickup Pattern: The Razer Seiren Mini is tuned with a tighter pickup angle, so it can focus on your voice while ensuring that background noises like typing and mouse clicks don’t get picked up.
- Connectivity technology: USB
FIFINE USB Desktop PC Microphone K683A
- EASY-TO-REACH CONTROLS - The gain knob enables quickly adjustment if there is any sensitivity, lack of sound or distortion during live broadcasting. Or if you want to take a break in the middle of a podcast, use the instant mute button. And there is a 3.5mm headphone jack on the back of this USB streaming mic for real-time monitoring.
- DETACHABLE POP FILTER - No need to buy extra accessories. This audio recording mic comes with compatible pop filter. It helps to reduce the pops and will keep your audiences from being distracted by the harsher sounds. The strong tripod stand allows you to use the computer mic easily in the most comfortable way possible.
- NOTE: This is a cardioid pickup pattern microphone. Make sure to speak directly into the mic diaphragm (the side with "fifine" logo), not into the rear or the top of the mic.
- WHAT YOU GET - An all metal studio microphone, foldable tripod stand, pop filter, 6.56ft USB-B to USB A/C cable, 3/8'' to 5/8'' screw adapter, user manual with guide video. It also comes with friendly tech support to ensure better experience.
- STUDIO QUALITY SOUND - The cardioid condenser mic offers crystal-clear audio with minimum background noise. The wide frequency response and large diaphragm precisely reproduces every details of your voice. Get great sound whether you’re recording vocals, music or even lectures.
- PLUG AND PLAY - Compatible with Mac, PS4 and Windows PC computer laptop that has USB-A or USB-C port. No extra driver is required. You can instantly start live streaming, podcasting, computer gaming, ZOOM meetings and more with this external microphone. (◆◆Incompatible with Xbox ◆◆)
Best Vintage Style
MXL Mics, 1 Instrument Condenser Microphone (MXL-990)
- Includes custom shock mount, mic stand adapter & carrying case.
- Provides silky sweet high end and retains tight, solid low and midrange reproduction
- Power requirements: Phantom power 48V (+- 4V)
- Vintage body style with champagne finish.
- FET based design with transformer balanced output for a variety of applications.
Best Direct- Easily
MAONO USB Microphone
- What you get: 1x USB condenser microphone, 1x adjustable sturdy arm, 1x metal shock mount, 1x pop filter, 1x desk mount clamp, 1x windscreen cap, 1x USB cable, and 1x manual.
- One-Touch Key Mute: Acrylic mirror mute button more clear and durable, The microphone built-in LED indicator light informs the status(Green: working, red: mute), It makes you more efficient when dealing with multiple works.
- Premium Arm Stand Set: Aluminum Alloy microphone and Zinc Alloy boom arm, Durable and easy to install, High-quality metal shock mount to isolate USB mic from noise, shock and ambient vibration, it can protect the pc microphone all-around, which effectively extending the using time of the mic.
- Plug and Play: The microphone with USB output that works seamlessly with computers or tablets, no drivers or software needed – just plug in and hit record. Compatible with Windows and Mac OS.
- Clear and Warmth Audio: Built-in professional sound chip-set and 16mm electret condenser transducer. The proprietary capsule design delivers rich, full-bodied, crystal clear sound, while the premium converter enables high-resolution 192KHZ/24BIT audio recording direct to your computer.
- 12-Month Warranty and Package List: MAONO offers up to 12 months of hassle-free warranty service, any issues will be resolved.
- Mic Gain Knob: Flexible Gain Knob can increase the volume and sensitivity of the USB microphone, Never worry about reducing sound quality by speaking too low or too far away. Perfect for podcast, game, live stream, youtube video, skype.
- Premium Accessories: Pop filter and windscreen cap can lower wind and Saliva interference, record voice more clear, Whether you record at home or a studio. 98in double shielding USB cable reduces interference.
- Cardioid Pickup: The cardioid mode can directly capture the sound source in front of the studio microphone, optimized to reduce room sound and focus on the subject, be it dialogue, vocals or instruments.
Rode NT-USB Versatile Studio-Quality USB Cardioid Condenser Microphone
- 3.5 millimeter stereo headphone jack for zero-latency monitoring
- Pop shield, Tripod desk stand, ring mount, storage pouch and 6m (20’) USB cable included
- High quality studio microphone with the convenience of USB connectivity
- Four-Capsule Array – Capture Legendary Blue Broadcast Sound With Greater Focus And Clarity Than Ever For Professional Streaming, Podcasting And Youtube
- Multi-Function Smart Knob – Fine-Tune Your On-Stream Sound With Easy-Access Controls For Mic Gain, Mute, Headphone Volume And Blend
- High-Res Led Metering – Visualize Your Voice Level At A Glance And Adjust Up Or Down For Powerful, Broadcast Quality Sound
- Blue VoICe Software: Craft The Perfect Broadcast Vocal Sound And Entertain Your Audience With Enhanced Effects, Advanced Modulation And Hd Audio Samples. Advanced Blue VoICe Is Compatible With Yeti, Yeti Nano And Yeti X. To Access Blue VoICe, Please Download Logitech’S Free G Hub Software.
What to Look For in a best budget studio microphone?
Please follow the bellow points before selecting the best budget studio microphone:
Type Of Microphone
Maximum Sound Pressure Level
Traditional wired microphones transmit sound signals via a cable. They can be a hindrance to performers' movement, particularly during large productions. A wireless microphone is a good option if you need to be mobile. These wireless microphones use radio waves to transmit signals to the receiver.
How Do I Clean My Miniature Microphone Cable From Tape Remains?Over time, residue from glue and tape can etch the cable making it less able to withstand braking. Organic oil can be used to clean the cable (e.g. Olive oil and lukewarm warm water can be used to clean the cable. Ecotech2 Multidegreaser by Finish Line has been reported to have good results.
What Should I Do When My Miniature Microphone Gets Soaked In Water Or Sweat?A microphone is best if it's not in contact with water. However, sweat can be a problem if the environment is professional. The microphone should be shaken to remove any water. It must then dry, perhaps near a heat source such as a radiator. Never use a hairdryer. After they have been sweat-filled, omni microphones should be rinsed in demineralized waters and dried.
Which Microphone Is Recommended For Low Frequency Measurements?Low frequency can be referred to as a relative term. The standard 1/2" condenser test microphones and the measurement grade microphones have an -3dB point between 1 Hz and 3 Hz. This is enough for most applications. Some specialty microphones can measure down to 0.1 Hz and exceed this limit.
What Microphone Is Recommended For Determining The Direction Or Noise Source Location Of Sound?Multiple free-field microphones, placed in predefined patterns and combined with appropriate software allow spatial transformations of complex sound pressure fields to be projected to map the acoustic energy flows. Because of their general value and matching phase specifications, array microphones make a great choice for large-channel count acoustic testing. Because they allow the user to identify specific microphones quickly and easily, Transducer Electronic Data Sheets (TEDS), are highly recommended.
Which Levels Can The Microphone Handle?A microphone's dynamic range is the difference between its lowest and highest levels.
It is not just a function the microphone, but the preamplifier that goes with it. A microphone's dynamic range is directly related to its sensitivities.
What Is The Noise Floor Of A Microphone?The cartridge thermal noise specification defines the microphone's noise floor. Important to remember that preamplifier noise can have an impact on the mic and preamplifier combo's noise floor. You can also measure the sound pressure by limiting other components of the measurement chain like power supplies or data acquisition systems.
Does The Size Of A Microphone Impact Its Frequency And Dynamic Range?It is important to consider the size and sensitivity of your microphone. Microphones of smaller dimensions and higher sensitivity are more capable of measuring high amplitudes or frequencies. However, microphones with a larger diameter or more sensitive can measure higher frequencies and have lower noise floors.
What Is A Polar Plot And How Is It Used?Polar plots, also known as beam patterns, show an angular dependence on the sound pressure measured by the microphone. A polar plot shows how sound pressure levels are affected by different angles of incidence. The typical angle of incidence is a 180-degree arc, with the microphone in the middle. As you move away from the centre, your pressure amplitude will decrease. The frequency dependence of measured sound pressure is not shown in polar plots. They are only obtained at one frequency. Because the pattern of the beam will vary at different frequencies, it is important to specify the measurement frequency with polar data.
In general, it's difficult to say who creates the best budget studio microphone since each firm has unique qualities, features, and pricing points that set them apart from the competition. We only suggest products from the most outstanding manufacturers on our site, so you can rest assured about their quality.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require assistance with your problems. Wish you a happy shopping!
READ NEXT: The 10 Best Tablet 13 Inch Of 2023, Tested By Our Experts