The Best Routers For Gamers In 2023
1. Best Overall: Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Modem
Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig cable modem is designed to provide the fastest speeds and lowest latency for your Internet connection, which can help you enjoy a more responsive Internet experience. With its built-in Active Queue Management (AQM) technology, this cable modem provides better app performance for online gaming, conferencing, and streaming.
2. Best For The Price: TP-Link AX1800 WiFi 6 Router (Archer AX21)
The TP-Link AX1800 WiFi 6 Router is the best wireless router for modern homes, enabling you to enjoy uninterrupted HD streaming, gaming and more. It features the revolutionary Wi-Fi 6(802.11ax) technology, which achieves faster speeds, greater capacity and reduced network congestion compared to previous generations.
3. Best Efficient: ASUS ROG Rapture WiFi Gaming Router (GT-AC2900)
The ASUS ROG Rapture WiFi Gaming Router is designed for both speed and power. This router features a tri-level game accelerator to optimize your online gaming packets all the way from your PC to the game server. The Geforce now recommended router ensures that you can enjoy an unrivaled cloud gaming experience with no latency worries.
4. Best Quality: ASUS ROG Rapture WiFi 6 Gaming Router (GT-AX11000)
The ASUS Rapture GT-AX11000 is a cutting edge gaming router that offers the latest high performance. Paired with the powerful 1.8 Ghz Quad Core cpu and 2.5G gaming port, this ASUS Rapture router offers ultimate performance. The ASUS Rapture also provides you with a variety of security options that protect your network from online threats.
If you’re a gamer who is tired of lagging and low-resolution graphics ruining your gaming experience, it’s time to get yourself a game-changing router. A top-notch router will not only improve your connection but also your gameplay by reducing lag, enabling you to perform at your best in any online gaming scenario. The best routers for gamers are those that have been designed with game in mind.
These routers have special features that enhance their performance for high bandwidth activities such as gaming. If you’re thinking about getting yourself a new router or upgrading the one you currently have, read on to find our list of the best routers for gamers out there.
Our team, including qualified experts in this area, conducted a survey and carried out it for a great amount of time on finding the right products for best routers for gamers, nearly 16 hours. And after lots of effort, we have done it well.
As the result, we found some top trending models on the market that many customers tend to search for. In addition, we believe that the Motorola MB8611 DOCSIS 3.1 Multi-Gig Cable Modem is one of the best options available to you. We have provided you with a detailed buyer's guide and many other good choices so that you can decide which one is the best for your requirements.
RELATED: Our top professionals have tested, examined, and ranked the 10 best wifi router for long range of 2023 for you. See our top picks here.
Our Top Picks
- Fast streaming, conferencing, gaming - Applies Active Queue Management (AQM) for reduced Internet latency and better app performance, including online gaming, conferencing, and streaming.
- Multi-gigabit Ethernet speed - A 2.5 GB Ethernet port delivers true high-speed connectivity to even the fastest routers and computers, providing downstream speeds just below 2,500 Mbps and upstream speeds up to 800 Mbps when supported by your internet service plan.
- Pairs with any WiFi router - Seamlessly compatible with any WiFi router to connect all your devices. This cable modem does NOT have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Built for reliability - Motorola is a worldwide leader in technology people depend on. Comes with a 2-year warranty and free support from our team of USA technicians.
- Extreme cost savings - Owning your own modem typically saves the home $168 per year in monthly rental charges. (Savings described is for Comcast Xfinity and vary by service provider.)
- Ultra-fast DOCSIS 3.1 performance - Delivers true Gigabit-plus speeds. Supports fast internet plans with Comcast Xfinity, Cox, and Spectrum. Backward compatible with 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0.
- Certified for Humans: Smart home made easy for non-experts. Setup with Alexa is simple
- VPN Server and Client: Archer AX21 Supports both VPN Server and VPN Client (Open/PPTP/L2TP over Ipsec)
- Dual-Band WiFi 6 Internet Router: Wi-Fi 6(802.11ax) technology achieves faster speeds, greater capacity and reduced network congestion compared to the previous generation
- Next-Gen 1.8 Gbps Speeds: Enjoy smoother and more stable streaming, gaming, downloading and more with WiFi speeds up to 1.8 Gbps (1200 Mbps on 5 GHz band and 574 Mbps on 2.4 GHz band)
- Connect more devices: Wi-Fi 6 technology communicates more data to more devices simultaneously using revolutionary OFDMA technology
- Extensive Coverage: Achieve the strong, reliable WiFi coverage with Archer AX1800 as it focuses signal strength to your devices far away using Beamforming technology, 4 high-gain antennas and an advanced front-end module (FEM) chipset
- Works with all internet service providers, such as Comcast, Charter, AT&T, Verizon, Xfinity, Spectrum, RCN, Cox, CenturyLink, Frontier, etc.( a modem is required for most internet service providers)
- Asus Aura lighting– multiple effects for a stylish vibe while can even be set to reflect the status of your network
- Triple-level game Accelerator - optimizes your online gaming packets all the way from your PC to the game server.
- Front-line network security – Lifetime free AiProtection Pro, Powered by Trend Micro, protects all connected devices from internet threats.
- Geforce now recommended router – enjoy an unrivaled cloud gaming experience with no latency.
- Aimesh supported - works with Asus AiMesh compatible routers to create a powerful, flexible, seamless whole-home Wi-Fi system.
- Triple level game acceleration accelerate game traffic With device, game packet and game server prioritization
- Nextgen ax Wi Fi is backward compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi Fi devices and Supports current Wi Fi devices. Operating Frequency:2.4 GigaHertz, 5 GigaHertz 1, 5 GigaHertz 2
- Cutting edge hardware offers the best performance 1.8 GigaHertz Quad Core cpu and 2.5 G gaming port for ultimate performance
- ASUS wrt enables support for open, advanced monitoring and control which includes device bandwidth utilization as well as device or usage prioritization
- Your own gaming mesh network Compatible with ASUS AiMesh Wi Fi system for seamless whole home coverage.Memory:256 MB Flash,1 GB RAM
- ASUS AiProtection security to neutralize internet threats before they hit your network
- MU-MIMO and AirTime Fairness maximize total throughput and response rates.
- Dynamic optimization prioritizes traffic to eradicate latency
- Advanced security: Protect your network and connected devices with a free lifetime subscription to TP-Link HomeCare featuring next-level antivirus, robust parental controls, and QoS.
- JD Power Award- Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- AC5400 Tri-band Wi-Fi over one 2.4 GHz (1000Mbps) and two 5 GHz bands (2167Mbps), dedicate one band to gaming traffic.
- 8 Gigabit LAN ports and 1 Gigabit WAN port, with Link Aggregation, you can team two ports to double connection speed
- Wi-Fi Router Made for Gamers: Leading edge 1.8 GHz 64 bit Quad-core CPU and 1G RAM accelerates loading
- Range boost strengthens reception and Beamforming sends targeted Wi-Fi to keep devices connected at farther distances than other wireless internet routers
- Hassle Free Control – 3 steps setup and easy management with ASUS Router App
- Banish WiFi Dead Zone—Tri-band mesh WiFi system with unique antenna placement delivers strong WiFi to every corner of your home, providing total wireless speed of 6600Mbps.
- AiMesh Supported– Mix and match ZenWiFi with AiMesh-compatible routers to form powerful and flexible whole-home WiFi system
- Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 Technology— With OFDMA and MU-MIMO, ZenWiFi AX enables more efficient, stable, and faster transmission even when multiple devices are transmitting data at the same time.
- Always Up-to-date Protection— The lifetime free network security powered by Trend Micro makes sure your privacy on connected devices is protected.
- Supports 100+ connected devices, so everyone can get on at once and signal rate- Wi-Fi 5GHz is Up to 1300Mbps,2.4GHz is Up to 600Mbps, Bluetooth is 4.0&HS
- The companion Google Wifi app makes setup simple and lets you to control your network from your smartphone
- Super fast Wi-Fi speeds up to 1900 mbps to help with smooth streaming, gaming and downloading
- Industry-leading 2-year warranty and 24/7 premium technical support.
- A separate guest network helps get friends online easily, and allows you to share devices, like your Chromecast, with them.
- Supports 100+ connected devices, so everyone can get on at once and signal rate- Wi-Fi 5GHz is Up to 1300Mbps,2.4GHz is Up to 600Mbps, Bluetooth is 4.0&HS
- Helps eliminate dead zones with 2.4GHz and 5GHz Band1/2/3/4 Wi-Fi antenna-13, 2.4GHz Bluetooth antenna- 1 & 2.4GHz Zigbee antenna-1. Reliable coverage for most homes up to 2,500 square feet
- Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Brings unbelievable speed and lower latency to your PS5 by leveraging all the benefits of WiFi 6 so you can always beat the competition.
- Fast WiFi 6 AX5400 Dual-Band speed provides coverage up to 2500 sq.ft. and 25 devices simultaneously
- Compatible with any wired Ethernet or wireless gaming device including PCs, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch consoles.
- DumaOS 3.0 is built especially for gamers, reducing ping rates up to 93% while enjoying faster, lag-free online gaming and smoother streaming.
- WIFI RANGE EXTENDER REPLACEMENT: AmpliFi MeshPoints feature adjustable super antennas that can be placed discreetly in almost location in your house, wherever dead spots need coverage. Signal strength LEDs are integrated into the design to provide immediate and continuous feedback if the system is positioned for optimal performance.
- 802.11AC TECHNOLOGY FOR FASTER SPEEDS AND BETTER COVERAGE: AmpliFi HD is more than a wireless router: it’s the ultimate WiFi system. With turbocharged 802.11ac wi-fi, AmpliFi utilizes multiple self-configuring radios and advanced wifi antenna technology to bring ubiquitous secure WiFi coverage to any home network. Ensure that your Smart TV, digital downloads, and streaming devices have the connectivity demanded in today's modern home.
- WHOLE HOME WIFI SYSTEM: Not just a wifi router, it's a wifi system. The AmpliFi HD Gamer’s Edition Wi-Fi System includes a wifi router with an easy-to-use touchscreen display, two MeshPoints to maximize coverage and eliminate dead zones in your home, four Gigabit Ethernet ports, a WAN port, and an Ethernet cable. The AmpliFi HD Gamer’s Edition Wifi system provides superior coverage with a range of up to 10,000 sq. ft.
- WIFI TECHNOLOGY EXPERTISE: The AmpliFi HD Gamer’s Edition wireless system is designed by Ubiquiti Labs, a division of Ubiquiti Networks, a global leader in developing wifi access points, wifi antennas, network switches, internet gateways, security cameras, VoIP phones, smart home and outdoor wifi solutions.
- DUAL-BAND WIFI YOU CAN COUNT ON - DUAL-BAND WIFI YOU CAN COUNT ON
- WIFI 6 TECHNOLOGY - gives you faster speeds and increased ranges for more devices.
- EASY SETUP - Just use your smart phone, iPad, tablet, or computer browser to setup the E7350 in minutes.
- GREAT FOR: SURFING THE WEB AND STREAMING - The Linksys E7350 WiFi 6 router covers up to 1,500 square feet and handles up to 20 plus devices at speeds up to 1.8 Gbps
- PUSH BUTTON CONNECT - Easily add devices to your network with a push of the WPS button.
- SMARTER SECURITY - With Parental Controls, and separate Guest Access, your network will always remain safe and secure.
- 24/7 SUPPORT - If you’ve got WiFi questions, we’re here with a friendly support staff available by phone or online.
What to Look For in a best routers for gamers?
You may think purchasing seems simple, and it sometimes does the opposite! Studying the outcome of best routers for gamers will take a considerable amount of time. Also, there are multiple sides of best routers for gamers you need to check. That’s the reason why we’re all ready to assist you with best routers for gamers issue.
You should pay more attention to the following criteria of best routers for gamers in 2023:
Although they are more affordable than dual-band routers, we recommend getting two 5GHz Wi-Fi band routers. If you own four computers that can support Wi-Fi 6, the NETGEAR Nighthawk RAX200 is ideal. Some models include a second 6GHz connection that offers even higher Wi-Fi speeds.
Multistreams and antennas can send and receive data faster than one. Imagine two trucks driving down the same road. They can deliver packages quicker than two trucks travelling down the same route. Virtually all wireless devices support two outgoing and one incoming streams. To be able to connect multiple Wi-Fi networks, you need a router that supports more than two streams on each band.
A router that has two transmit streams (and two receive streams) may work well for a smaller home. An 8x8 configuration is recommended for busy homes with many wireless devices.
You want a router capable of MU-MIMO. However, you also want to have as many streams available as possible for your wireless devices to communicate with it.
If you are in an area with Gigabit internet, input is another problem. An older router could slow down your home and cause problems with your Gigabit internet connection. Some routers are capable of aggregating two inputs to provide faster connectivity.
Dual-band routers generally have at least two antennas. Some are dedicated to the 5GHz band, while others go to 2.4GHz. Omnidirectional means they transmit signals in all directions, regardless of the position of their antennas. There are many configurations that look like droid heads in Star Wars movies, or flipped Tarantulas pointed at the sky.
The indoor range for the 2.4GHz band is 150ft, and the 50ft of the 5GHz band. Antennas focus more on signal quality and speed rather than invading neighbor's homes with Wi-Fi signals. If you have to send a Wi Fi signal to an area, you can purchase a high-gain antenna.
Speeds And Standards
Wi-Fi 6 is the latest standard for routers. It's also known as 802.11ax. This is faster and better suited to households that have many smart home devices. While there are many WiFi 6 routers on the market today, Wi-Fi 6e is a newer standard that uses a portion of the radio frequency.
RELATED: Take a look at the top 10 best ac modem router combo for you. Our personalized shopping guides help you compare and choose the best products.
What Does A Wi-Fi Router Do?To send or receive web data, you must be connected to the modem. Your router allows this without requiring a wire. This is a fancy antenna that connects to your modem wirelessly over Wi-Fi. To connect to other devices, such as printers and remote storage servers at home via Wi-Fi networks within your area of residence, you can use the Wi-Fi network.
Do I Need To Change The Router SSID And Password?Your router's SSID (or Router Identification Number) is your unique identification number. Although every router has WPA2 security built in, you should always change the password and SSID of your router. Because every router may have the same default password, it could mean that you network is open to all.
It is recommended that you change your SSID password and SSID to protect it. This will help you eliminate all types of malicious attempts.
How Do I Set Up A Wi-Fi Router?To set up the router, you can plug it in using an Ethernet cable. Next, type the IP address of the router into your browser's URL bar. You can also use the app of your router to set up, and it usually takes between 5-10 minutes. You can access your router's settings and change your Wi Fi password using either method after setup.
Standard Routers Vs. Mesh Routers: Which Is Better?The standard router is one device you will typically put near your internet connection. Additional access points can be added wirelessly to mesh routers. These will again be located near your internet router.
Multiple access points can be used to bypass obstacles that could cause Wi-Fi dead zones, such as large appliances or concrete brick walls. Mesh routers improve reliability. Mesh routers aren't expected to deliver higher performance. In my testing, they didn't perform well relative to the price.
My Router Is Jammed- What Should I Do?Because the router is electronic, such events can happen anytime. This doesn't mean you should panic. You can simply reboot or restart your router if you encounter such issues. Just behind the router is a reset button. Hold this button for at least 10 seconds to turn on all the LED lights.
Your router will enter reset mode once it has done so. You must wait until all lights come on. You must also remember that any active settings changes will return to the default.
What Makes Wi-Fi 6 Better Than Before?Wi-Fi 6 supports new Wi-Fi technologies that make data transfer faster and more efficient. Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAM) is one of the most important upgrades. This trick allows your router to transmit radio waves other devices can interpret as a series or ones and zeroes. It's the binary code behind everything you read, see and experience online. Your router can send 10 bits of binary code per transmission with 1024-QAM, as opposed to the eight bits of binary sent by Wi-Fi 5 routers using 256-QAM. Wi-Fi 6 boasts top speeds up to 30% higher than the previous version.
OFDMA (or orthogonal frequency division multiple access) is another feature to be noted. This allows your router to transmit data to multiple clients through one channel, increasing network efficiency. To save fuel, think of it as a delivery man dropping multiple pizzas off to several customers at once. Target Wake Time allows the router to schedule devices that must check in periodically so they don't interfere with each other. It isn’t tied specifically to Wi-Fi 6 but most next-gen routers support WPA3, which is the latest Wi-Fi security standard.